U.K. pop idol Will Young comes out
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 12 2002 1:00 AM ET
Will Young, a U.K. pop singer who set a record with the fastest-selling debut single of all time, came out in the British press on Sunday. "I feel it's time to tell my fans I'm gay," Young told News of the World. "It's totally no big deal, just part of who I am. For me, it's normal and nothing to be ashamed about." He also added, "I'm sure this will not come as a surprise to many people, although I've always been discreet and I'm not a campaigner when it comes to my sexuality."
Young was discovered when he won Pop Idol, a reality series similar to Making the Band in the United States, which set out to find a new pop star. His first single, the double-A-sided "Anything Is Possible"/"Evergreen," was released on February 25 and sold more than 1 million copies in the first week, eclipsing the record held by the 1984 Band Aid fund-raising single "Do They Know It's Christmas?" Young's single remains at the top of the British charts, and observers are still waiting to see if his public disclosure of his sexuality affects sales.
Young told reporters that "media pressure" led him to discuss his private life, and there were reports that some former boyfriends were planning to sell their stories to the British tabloids if Young had not come forward himself. "I have never made any secret of this to my family and friends," Young said. "I don't wish to talk about it any further, and I hope that people will respect that, as my private life is my private life."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 3 min 56 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM