U.K. pop idol Will Young comes out
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 12 2002 1:00 AM ET
Will Young, a U.K. pop singer who set a record with the fastest-selling debut single of all time, came out in the British press on Sunday. "I feel it's time to tell my fans I'm gay," Young told News of the World. "It's totally no big deal, just part of who I am. For me, it's normal and nothing to be ashamed about." He also added, "I'm sure this will not come as a surprise to many people, although I've always been discreet and I'm not a campaigner when it comes to my sexuality."
Young was discovered when he won Pop Idol, a reality series similar to Making the Band in the United States, which set out to find a new pop star. His first single, the double-A-sided "Anything Is Possible"/"Evergreen," was released on February 25 and sold more than 1 million copies in the first week, eclipsing the record held by the 1984 Band Aid fund-raising single "Do They Know It's Christmas?" Young's single remains at the top of the British charts, and observers are still waiting to see if his public disclosure of his sexuality affects sales.
Young told reporters that "media pressure" led him to discuss his private life, and there were reports that some former boyfriends were planning to sell their stories to the British tabloids if Young had not come forward himself. "I have never made any secret of this to my family and friends," Young said. "I don't wish to talk about it any further, and I hope that people will respect that, as my private life is my private life."
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Richard Renaldi Hotel Room Portraits
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM