Rosie talks about being "not gay enough"
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 29 2002 1:00 AM ET
In an E-mail interview with PlanetOut.com columnist Paula Martinac, newly out talk show host Rosie O'Donnell addressed a number of topics, including her clashes with gay activists and journalists. "[S]o many of the loudest gay folk cast judgment and assign blame to those they consider quietly gay--'not gay enough,'" O'Donnell writes. "I have been accused by some of being 'not gay enough.' My response has always been, I do not have to be gay like you. I only have to be gay like me." O'Donnell goes on to say that her coming-out was about alerting "people to the fact that there are half a million kids in foster care in America...[t]hat the laws in the state where I live prevented me from adopting the child I fostered for over 16 months, because I am gay," and not about appeasing her critics in the gay community.
When Martinac asked about gay journalist Michelangelo Signorile's assertion that O'Donnell came out to silence gay critics, O'Donnell responded, "He is a moron. His idea of gay America consists of only those he deems worthy enough. I do not enjoy him, his point of view, or his rhetoric. (He isn't even funny.) One reason I did not come out sooner, I didn't want anyone to associate me with Signorile in any way. Same goes for [Village Voice columnist Michael] Musto." Regarding ending antigay discrimination, O'Donnell said, "I think it is important. I think everyone moves through life at their own pace, and patience is a virtue."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News EXCLUSIVE: Madonna's MDNA Concert Clip 34 min 14 sec ago
- Politics Dallas Councilwoman Objects to Gay HIV Billboard 1 hour 29 min ago
- Marriage Equality Arizona: Org. Files for Marriage Equality Ballot Initiative 1 hour 39 min ago
- Business Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market 1 hour 41 min ago
- Women WATCH: The Voice's Out Artist Michelle Chamuel Tackles Annie Lennox's 'Why' 1 hour 52 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer Says Judge is Biased, Should Remove Himself 2 hours 3 min ago
- HIV & AIDS 12 HIV-Positive Tattoos You Must See 2 hours 5 min ago