Elton John concert for German school shooting victims raises 170,000 euros
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 29 2002 12:00 AM ET
Concerts and sports events have raised a total of 680,000 euros for victims of an April school shooting in Erfurt, Germany, and of that total, 170,000 euros ($166,000) came from a June rock concert performed by Elton John. Money was also raised through charity performances by Germany's national soccer and handball teams, with other donations coming from around Germany and abroad. Erfurt's Gutenberg High School, where a 19-year-old former student killed 13 teachers, two students, and a police officer, has been closed since the April 26 shooting but is scheduled to reopen in a year following comprehensive renovations.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'