Queer as Folk cleared by Canadian censors as its cast gets a raise
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 09 2002 1:00 AM ET
The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council ruled Wednesday that the U.S. version of Queer as Folk contains "sexually explicit" content without being exploitative, says The Hollywood Reporter. The panel ruled in response to a viewer complaint about the show, noting that broadcaster Showcase Television had not aired sufficient viewer advisories about the program's content. The complaining viewer wrote the council that she was "appalled to see blatant, explicit sexual acts playing on [her] television screen," but the censors concluded that the show's content did not breach the Canadian Association of Broadcasters' sex-role portrayal code and that it was "not exploitative of either males or females."
In other Queer as Folk news, Variety reports that six members of the show's cast (Peter Paige, Gale Harold, Thea Gill, Scott Lowell, Michelle Clunie, and Randy Harrison) entered into collective bargaining, empowering lawyers Peter Nelson and Bruce Gellman to negotiate for them. Nelson recently successfully negotiated raises for The West Wing's supporting cast, and he triumphed again, getting fourfold raises for the sextet from Showtime. The actors will now make salaries per episode in the mid five-figure range for the show's third season.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 12 min 16 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 35 min 13 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 25 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 9 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 21 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 hours 35 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 2 hours 35 min ago