Actor Leslie Cheung remembered by thousands
April 02 2004 12:00 AM ET
Thousands of fans of late Hong Kong heartthrob Leslie Cheung braved torrential rain on Thursday to mark the first anniversary of the star's death. Cheung was notable for being one of only a few Asian stars to play openly gay characters and came out about his homosexuality after the 1997 movie Happy Together, directed by Hong Kong's Wong Kar-Wai. The Canto-pop singer and actor, best known for his portrayal of an opera star in the acclaimed 1993 historical epic movie Farewell My Concubine, leapt to his death from the 24th floor of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel on April 1 last
year after a long battle with depression. He was 46.
A deluge of carnations and white roses were piled outside the Mandarin as a stream of grieving fans arrived in a somber mood, dressed in black, to attend a memorial organized by fan the club Leslie Cheung Cyberworld. The fans came from China, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Malaysia, and Singapore, the event organizer said. Inside, an ad hoc memorial hall decorated with white curtains and white roses was filled with crying admirers of the late star. "I couldn't sleep last night thinking of Gor Gor [Cantonese for "big brother," Cheung's nickname]," said 35-year-old Singaporean Toon Fong Chen. "I don't want to accept that he is dead. This doesn't feel real." Toon and her friends booked a room at the Mandarin Thursday to "accompany Gor Gor because we know he is lonely. We want to feel his presence," she added.
- Year in Review The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?' 48 min 3 sec ago
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit December 18 2013 9:50 PM
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! December 18 2013 9:06 PM
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening December 18 2013 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India December 18 2013 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective December 18 2013 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! December 18 2013 4:49 PM