Actor Leslie Cheung remembered by thousands
April 02 2004 1:00 AM ET
Thousands of fans of late Hong Kong heartthrob Leslie Cheung braved torrential rain on Thursday to mark the first anniversary of the star's death. Cheung was notable for being one of only a few Asian stars to play openly gay characters and came out about his homosexuality after the 1997 movie Happy Together, directed by Hong Kong's Wong Kar-Wai. The Canto-pop singer and actor, best known for his portrayal of an opera star in the acclaimed 1993 historical epic movie Farewell My Concubine, leapt to his death from the 24th floor of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel on April 1 last
year after a long battle with depression. He was 46.
A deluge of carnations and white roses were piled outside the Mandarin as a stream of grieving fans arrived in a somber mood, dressed in black, to attend a memorial organized by fan the club Leslie Cheung Cyberworld. The fans came from China, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Malaysia, and Singapore, the event organizer said. Inside, an ad hoc memorial hall decorated with white curtains and white roses was filled with crying admirers of the late star. "I couldn't sleep last night thinking of Gor Gor [Cantonese for "big brother," Cheung's nickname]," said 35-year-old Singaporean Toon Fong Chen. "I don't want to accept that he is dead. This doesn't feel real." Toon and her friends booked a room at the Mandarin Thursday to "accompany Gor Gor because we know he is lonely. We want to feel his presence," she added.
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 1 hour 59 min ago
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 2 hours 58 min ago
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM