In the Life faces censorship over footage provided by Bush AIDS official
October 12 2004 12:00 AM ET
Excerpts from a videotape produced by a group headed by an appointee to the Presidential AIDS Council that featured in the October installment of In the Life have been flagged as potential violations of the FCC's indecency standards. Local PBS stations have been cautioned by American Public Television to contact their legal departments before airing October's In the Life due to material provided by Joe McIlhaney, MD, that is presented in the segment "By the Book." Directed by George Ratliff (Hell House, Plutonium Circus), "By the Book" features a line drawing that demonstrates how to do a self-exam for breast cancer as well excerpts from a videotape promoting abstinence and discussing condom use, all of which were provided by McIlhaney's Medican Institute for Sexual Health, which provides pro-abstinence resources that are used in every state in the union and 40 foreign countries. Because of the content of the video, APT has suggested that stations air In the Life after 10 p.m. For listings of stations that present In the Life, visit www.ITL.tv.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM