Wonderfalls headed for DVD
January 28 2005 1:00 AM ET
Fans curious about what happened to Fox's critically acclaimed fantasy-drama Wonderfalls need wonder no longer. Caroline Dhavernas starred as a Niagara Falls tourist-shop clerk who hears voices coming from animal figurines and other objects directing her to intervene in the lives of other people. The show dried up last April after less than a month on the air because of low ratings. Now all 13 Wonderfalls episodes will be available February 1 on DVD.
"It's actually very, very cool because oftentimes in this situation, no one ever gets to see the final product," openly gay cocreator and executive producer Bryan Fuller told the Associated Press recently. "With the DVD available, fans don't have to hunt down bad copies at a comic-book show or on eBay or something." Fuller cites the success of fellow axed show-turned-DVD Freaks and Geeks for the drive to put all of the Wonderfalls episodes--only four aired--on disc, but he gives the most credit to fans. "I think the people who were really responsible are the lovely people behind the Save Wonderfalls Web site and the Save Wonderfalls petition," said Fuller. "Those people's response and passion for the show go beyond anything we could've done. They had, like, over 23,000 signatures."
Fuller, who was told Fox was no longer interested in cult or niche shows, isn't jealous about the success of ABC's Lost and Desperate Housewives. "It's fantastic," he told the AP. "It shows some networks will take chances. I have a tremendous amount of respect for how passionately ABC got behind those two shows. It was a risky move that paid off in a big way. Even though our show was one of the best reviewed one-hour shows of the season, we didn't receive that kind of attention." (Derrik J. Lang, via AP)
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 1 hour 1 min ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 1 hour 9 min ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM