Chely Wright: Sales Tanked When I Came Out
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 11 2011 8:30 AM ET
Country music star Chely Wright, who came out last May, talks about the reaction among her old fan base, some of whom sent hate mail and stopped buying her records.
In an interview with Autostraddle, Wright deflates the perception among the gay community that coming out helped her career in every way.
"They’re wrong," she said. "There’s the gay community that now knows my name and it’s a long leap from the new demographic of people who will come to my Facebook page and hit the 'Like' button to them buying my record and coming to live shows. It’s a big stretch from those new fans to make up for the fans I lost. It didn’t help my career. My record sales went directly in half. If it appears from the outside in that it’s helped my career, it could be because I haven’t talked about the negative. You won’t hear me bitching and moaning on my Facebook about the hate mail I’ve gotten. My life has been threatened. I get nasty letters every day, 'I’m through with you Chely Wright, you’re going to hell.' There’s a big difference between press and advocacy and…. sometimes people forget that people who sing or make movies, this isn’t just a hobby for us. This is how I pay my bills. In coming out I had a feeling that it would diminish my wage earning, and that feeling was correct. And, I am fine with that."
Wright also talks about performing at the Dinah this spring, her political persuasion, and her friendships with stars including Kristin Chenoweth. Read the full interview here.
- BREAKING: New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Pastor Defrocked for Performing Son's Same-Sex Marriage
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Women Op-ed: Silencing a #SharedGirlHood on Social Media 6 min 47 sec ago
- Travel Wanna Go to the SAG Awards in L.A.? 15 min 41 sec ago
- Religion Pastor Defrocked for Performing Son's Same-Sex Marriage 47 min 33 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Who's in the Mood for a Jennifer Lawrence / Butt Plug story? 53 min 15 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Out Sochi Olympics Delegate Caitlin Cahow On Going to Russia 1 hour 30 min ago
- Politics White House Downplays Political Significance of LGBT Olympic Delegates 1 hour 37 min ago
- Travel See the World Map of Marriage Equality 1 hour 44 min ago