Did Jen Stop Perez's Bullying?
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 02 2011 8:50 AM ET
Jennifer Aniston will appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on Thursday and discuss the day she confronted Perez Hilton about bullying by asking the blogger, “Why are you so mean?”
According to a transcript, DeGeneres told Aniston that Hilton credited the Just Go With It actress with changing his behavior last fall at the height of media attention around the LGBT teen suicide epidemic. Aniston recounted the story of their encounter.
“I ran into Perez Hilton in a garage,” she said. “One of those moments you just never expect to happen. I had finished dinner with a girlfriend and we were driving out and I saw this tall, long, lean person and I say, ‘Who is that?’ And she says, ‘I think that's Perez Hilton.’ I said, ‘No. I have to say something to him. I have to.’ So I pulled up and we were sort of scoping each other out as I was pulling the car up. I just rolled down the window and I was like, ‘Hi.’ And he went, ‘Hi.’ We stood there like two deer in headlights. And I just said, ‘Come here. Just talk to me for a second.’ It was one of those great moments. It was a lovely meeting and I was just like, ‘Why are you so mean?’ There's something really great about putting a human being in front of another human being and then the reality that those words, even if it's for humor or effect or whatever, there's a human being behind all of that...And he's kept it up too which is good.”
On Wednesday, Hilton responded, telling The Los Angeles Times' "Ministry of Gossip" blog he had never talked about his run in with Aniston out of respect for the actress.
"I had not talked about meeting Jennifer Aniston out of respect for her and respect for the situation," he said. "It was actually a very powerful moment, I think for both of us. I told her the answer I would always tell myself — at the time, I viewed her as a character. I think it was very cathartic for her and for me."
He also said it made him happy to hear the actress describe him as "tall" and "lean" — he said he's lost more than 70 pounds in the last year.
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Entertainment News Musto: Tom Daley & Maria Bello Are Bi, Get Used To It 24 min 39 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 7:00 AM
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM