Archie Comics Gay Character to Get Series
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 04 2011 7:35 AM ET
Kevin Keller, the gay character whose debut in Veronica number 202 prompted an unprecedented sell-out last year, will get his own miniseries this summer.
Publisher Dan Parent, who will write and draw the four-issue series due in June, said that fans have connected with the Keller character, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
“There have been gay characters in other comics, but Keller's role as a friend to Archie, Veronica and the others at Riverdale High is part of the company's push to keep them relevant and contemporary,” reports the Chronicle.
Parent said the new series will focus on Keller’s friendships, his strong relationship with his father and his coming out to friends and family.
The first print run that introduced Keller in Veronica number 202 sold out, a first for a title under the Archie Comics brand.
- Artist Spotlight: James Huctwith
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride
- Op-ed: NBC's Straight-Washing of John Constantine Is Bi Erasure
- Former 'Ex-Gay' Activist Backs Away from Past, Now Supports GLAAD
- WATCH: Ohio's First Pro-Marriage Equality Ad in a Decade
- YouTube Couples Translate Same-Sex Love, #NoFilter