Archie Comics Gay Character to Get Series
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 04 2011 6:35 AM ET
Kevin Keller, the gay character whose debut in Veronica number 202 prompted an unprecedented sell-out last year, will get his own miniseries this summer.
Publisher Dan Parent, who will write and draw the four-issue series due in June, said that fans have connected with the Keller character, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
“There have been gay characters in other comics, but Keller's role as a friend to Archie, Veronica and the others at Riverdale High is part of the company's push to keep them relevant and contemporary,” reports the Chronicle.
Parent said the new series will focus on Keller’s friendships, his strong relationship with his father and his coming out to friends and family.
The first print run that introduced Keller in Veronica number 202 sold out, a first for a title under the Archie Comics brand.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 58 min 50 sec ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 59 min 38 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM