Op-ed: Exploring the Uncomfortable Difference Between Cuomo and Obama
BY Michelangelo Signorile
August 08 2011 3:00 AM ET
This is in sharp contrast to Cuomo’s position, and it’s where the comparison between the two is absolutely justified. What either man can or can’t do with respect to his respective legislative bodies is not the point. This is about leadership. Andrew Cuomo stands up and says, I’m your champion and I’m going to lead. Obama says, I’m “evolving,” and rather than leading, I’m following the American people, the majority of whom now support marriage. Obama refuses to get out front. This is true on a variety of issues, from the stimulus package to protecting the environment—to health care too—where Obama has started out with the compromise position rather than going forth boldly with what he truly believes. He’s so afraid of losing that he pursues a strategy he perceives to be safe but which is ultimately weak.
That’s exactly what he’s doing on marriage right now. He believes his position will help him in battleground states (and, as some have said, he likely will change his position after the 2012 election). But the voters he is thinking about are already opposed to him for a variety of other pro-gay achievements—including dropping DOMA—and already believe he secretly supports marriage equality, no matter his claims. It can only help him to publicly come out in support because the base of his party will be energized. That is where Obama can learn much from Cuomo, who went full speed ahead and didn’t look back.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 6 min 31 sec ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 2 hours 16 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM