Janet Jackson Producing Documentary About Transgender People
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 04 2012 2:00 PM ET
Superstar entertainer Janet Jackson is set to executive-produce a documentary that will help "stop the hate and find understanding" toward transgender people.
The documentary is titled Truth and described as "a journey through the lives of trans- and nongendered people around the world and their epic struggle for equality." The film will be directed by Robert Jason and is expected to begin production this summer.
"All people are very important to me," Jackson says in a statement released to the media. "I've been fortunate to make friends and learn about very different lives. Truth is our small chance to ask that you try and understand someone who lives their life in a way that is a little bit different from yours, even though all of our hearts are the same. We want to stop the hate and find understanding."
Jason is obviously ecstatic to have such a high-profile collaborator on the project. "Janet Jackson will take us on a visually innovative, cerebral journey through the turbulent lives of transgendered people of all ages around the world and their epic struggle for equality," he says. "This film will highlight landmark mainstream stories and provide a glimpse at others that will change the gender landscape of the world forever. Just as it is hard to believe that there ever was a time when different components of society were required to use separate drinking fountains, it is as incredible that one's gender expression remains just such a target for discrimination."
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM