Janet Jackson Producing Documentary About Transgender People
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 04 2012 2:00 PM ET
Superstar entertainer Janet Jackson is set to executive-produce a documentary that will help "stop the hate and find understanding" toward transgender people.
The documentary is titled Truth and described as "a journey through the lives of trans- and nongendered people around the world and their epic struggle for equality." The film will be directed by Robert Jason and is expected to begin production this summer.
"All people are very important to me," Jackson says in a statement released to the media. "I've been fortunate to make friends and learn about very different lives. Truth is our small chance to ask that you try and understand someone who lives their life in a way that is a little bit different from yours, even though all of our hearts are the same. We want to stop the hate and find understanding."
Jason is obviously ecstatic to have such a high-profile collaborator on the project. "Janet Jackson will take us on a visually innovative, cerebral journey through the turbulent lives of transgendered people of all ages around the world and their epic struggle for equality," he says. "This film will highlight landmark mainstream stories and provide a glimpse at others that will change the gender landscape of the world forever. Just as it is hard to believe that there ever was a time when different components of society were required to use separate drinking fountains, it is as incredible that one's gender expression remains just such a target for discrimination."
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 12 min 24 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 1 hour 11 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 1 hour 12 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 1 hour 42 min ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM