Bradlee Dean Ordered to Pay $25K of Maddow's Court Fees
BY Michelle Garcia
July 10 2012 2:49 PM ET
The pastor of the You Can Run But You Can't Hide ministry has been ordered to pay $24,625.23 in court costs for MSNBC host Rachel Maddow and the now-defunct Minnesota Independent after suing both for libel last year.
Dean filed suit against Maddow and the Independent's Andy Birkey after both journalists used a portion of Dean's radio show in their reporting. Dean said they took the pieces out of context, therefore defaming him. Dean's attorney, Larry Klayman, said that the reporting led to Dean receiving death threats and messages from people saying that they wanted to "have sex with Bradlee," and then kill him.
While the case is still ongoing, a Washington, D.C. judge ordered Dean to pay the legal fees City Pages reports.
He filed a lawsuit against Maddow for $50 million, after Maddow used the following statement from Dean's show: "Muslims are calling for the executions of homosexuals in America. This just shows you they themselves are upholding the laws that are even in the Bible of the Judeo-Christian God, but they seem to be more moral than even the American Christians do, because these people are livid about enforcing their laws. They know homosexuality is an abomination...If America won’t enforce the laws, God will raise up a foreign enemy to do just that."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM