Bradlee Dean Ordered to Pay $25K of Maddow's Court Fees
BY Michelle Garcia
July 10 2012 1:49 PM ET
The pastor of the You Can Run But You Can't Hide ministry has been ordered to pay $24,625.23 in court costs for MSNBC host Rachel Maddow and the now-defunct Minnesota Independent after suing both for libel last year.
Dean filed suit against Maddow and the Independent's Andy Birkey after both journalists used a portion of Dean's radio show in their reporting. Dean said they took the pieces out of context, therefore defaming him. Dean's attorney, Larry Klayman, said that the reporting led to Dean receiving death threats and messages from people saying that they wanted to "have sex with Bradlee," and then kill him.
While the case is still ongoing, a Washington, D.C. judge ordered Dean to pay the legal fees City Pages reports.
He filed a lawsuit against Maddow for $50 million, after Maddow used the following statement from Dean's show: "Muslims are calling for the executions of homosexuals in America. This just shows you they themselves are upholding the laws that are even in the Bible of the Judeo-Christian God, but they seem to be more moral than even the American Christians do, because these people are livid about enforcing their laws. They know homosexuality is an abomination...If America won’t enforce the laws, God will raise up a foreign enemy to do just that."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 2 hours 38 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM