Bradlee Dean Ordered to Pay $25K of Maddow's Court Fees
BY Michelle Garcia
July 10 2012 2:49 PM ET
The pastor of the You Can Run But You Can't Hide ministry has been ordered to pay $24,625.23 in court costs for MSNBC host Rachel Maddow and the now-defunct Minnesota Independent after suing both for libel last year.
Dean filed suit against Maddow and the Independent's Andy Birkey after both journalists used a portion of Dean's radio show in their reporting. Dean said they took the pieces out of context, therefore defaming him. Dean's attorney, Larry Klayman, said that the reporting led to Dean receiving death threats and messages from people saying that they wanted to "have sex with Bradlee," and then kill him.
While the case is still ongoing, a Washington, D.C. judge ordered Dean to pay the legal fees City Pages reports.
He filed a lawsuit against Maddow for $50 million, after Maddow used the following statement from Dean's show: "Muslims are calling for the executions of homosexuals in America. This just shows you they themselves are upholding the laws that are even in the Bible of the Judeo-Christian God, but they seem to be more moral than even the American Christians do, because these people are livid about enforcing their laws. They know homosexuality is an abomination...If America won’t enforce the laws, God will raise up a foreign enemy to do just that."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM