Donna Summer Disputed Antigay Remarks in 1989 Letter to ACT UP
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 12 2012 3:37 PM ET
Late entertainer Donna Summer wrote a letter to ACT UP, the AIDS activist group, that addressed protests and described the antigay remarks attributed to her as "unjust and unfair," writes Peter Staley in his Poz.com blog.
Summer's extraordinary career during the late 1970s was largely due to her predominantly gay fan base. A backlash against her music and concert performances was caused by antigay remarks that were attributed to her during a 1983 concert, and which she later denied making. Staley, who joined ACT UP in 1987, recalls organized protests against Summer's appearances and even the paying of one of her songs during a Boston Pride event in 1989.
In the letter mailed to ACT UP, which Staley transcribed, Summer says she was initially shielded from the controversy by her manager. "Since then, however, I have made numerous replies and spoken openly to try and clear up this misunderstanding," she writes. "I cannot force you to believe what I tell you, so if you choose to continue on with this fighting and arguing, that's up to you. I did not say God is punishing gays with aids, I did not sit with ill intentions in judgement over your lives. I haven't stopped talking to my friends who are gay, nor have I ever chosen my friends by their sexual preferences."
Read the letter on the following pages.
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 2 hours 3 min ago
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM