Broadway Stars Turn Les Mis Anthem into Obama Election Song
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 17 2012 1:13 PM ET
The lyrics of "One Day More," an anthem that closes act 1 of the epic musical Les Misérables, have been transformed into "One More Term," an earnest pro-Obama song that takes numerous digs at the GOP.
The original song already has a rich political history, having been used during presidential campaigns for Bill Clinton in 1992 and Barack Obama in 2008. New lyrics by Don DeMersquita, notes on the the website for the video that the song is intended as a parody, include:
Contraception's now a sin,
Screwing G.M. in the clutch.
Incivility's a virtue,
Homophobic. Out of touch.
Filibusters. Budget scrums.
Ultrasounds & speculums.
To the Dark Side they've succumbed.
Among the Broadway and musical theatre performers who sing in the video are Sean Smith, David Burnham, Kim Huber, Christina Saffran Ashford, Damon Kirsche, David Engel, Jennifer Shelton, Emma Ashford, Matthew Ashford, Ali B. Olmo, Johnny Pastor, Bubba Dean Rambo, William Martinez, Flora Rubenhold, Takako Gregg, Teri Yates, Mason Keane, and Paula Kean.
Watch the video below.
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- 11 Sweet Celebrity Tweets Celebrating Ireland's Marriage Equality Win