Broadway Stars Turn Les Mis Anthem into Obama Election Song
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 17 2012 12:13 PM ET
The lyrics of "One Day More," an anthem that closes act 1 of the epic musical Les Misérables, have been transformed into "One More Term," an earnest pro-Obama song that takes numerous digs at the GOP.
The original song already has a rich political history, having been used during presidential campaigns for Bill Clinton in 1992 and Barack Obama in 2008. New lyrics by Don DeMersquita, notes on the the website for the video that the song is intended as a parody, include:
Contraception's now a sin,
Screwing G.M. in the clutch.
Incivility's a virtue,
Homophobic. Out of touch.
Filibusters. Budget scrums.
Ultrasounds & speculums.
To the Dark Side they've succumbed.
Among the Broadway and musical theatre performers who sing in the video are Sean Smith, David Burnham, Kim Huber, Christina Saffran Ashford, Damon Kirsche, David Engel, Jennifer Shelton, Emma Ashford, Matthew Ashford, Ali B. Olmo, Johnny Pastor, Bubba Dean Rambo, William Martinez, Flora Rubenhold, Takako Gregg, Teri Yates, Mason Keane, and Paula Kean.
Watch the video below.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Op-ed: Why I Quit My Job at the United Nations
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- Robbie Rogers's Memoir Kicks Around Depression, Redemption, And Coming Out
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Vladimir Putin