Elton John Says Life Will be Difficult for His Son
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 21 2012 4:03 PM ET
Elton John says he is worried about the homophobia his son, Zachary, may face because he has two fathers, according to a new profile in Radio Times.
“Being the child of someone famous is a huge ball and chain around your ankles,” the entertainer says. “It’s going to be very difficult.”
John and civil partner David Furnish became parents to Zachary Christmas Day 2010 using a donor egg and a surrogate.
“At school other children will say, ‘You don’t have a mummy,’” John offers. “We’ve come a long way, but there’s still homophobia and will be until a new generation of parents don’t instil it in their children.”
The 65-year-old entertainer also reveals that Zachary calls him “Daddy” around the home and refers to Furnish as “Papa.”
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- PHOTOS: The Bare Truths of Trans Men
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'