Elton John Says Life Will be Difficult for His Son
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 21 2012 4:03 PM ET
Elton John says he is worried about the homophobia his son, Zachary, may face because he has two fathers, according to a new profile in Radio Times.
“Being the child of someone famous is a huge ball and chain around your ankles,” the entertainer says. “It’s going to be very difficult.”
John and civil partner David Furnish became parents to Zachary Christmas Day 2010 using a donor egg and a surrogate.
“At school other children will say, ‘You don’t have a mummy,’” John offers. “We’ve come a long way, but there’s still homophobia and will be until a new generation of parents don’t instil it in their children.”
The 65-year-old entertainer also reveals that Zachary calls him “Daddy” around the home and refers to Furnish as “Papa.”
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Dr. Drew Interviews Gay Teen Attacked by Christian Family
- Hot Sheet: Young, Cute, Dead
- Never Say This to Gay Parents
- Op-ed: This Is What Happens When a Generation Is Raised on LGBT Visibility
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay