Michelle Shocked Continues to Unravel
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 29 2013 10:31 AM ET
Michelle Shocked continues to, well, shock her former fans and supporters. Earlier this week Shocked appeared outside Moe’s Alley in Santa Cruz, Calif., according to David Badash at The New Civil Rights Movment, wearing a creepy full-body costume that included duct tape across her mouth with the words “Silenced by Fear” scrawled across it. The venue was one that had canceled a Shocked concert after she stunned audiences at the San Francisco Bay area jazz club Yoshi's by telling her audience that marriage equality would doom us all and that it was fine to tweet, "Michelle Shocked says God hates fags."
The Los Angeles-based musician, who came out as bisexual in the 1990s but has since become a fundamentalist Christian, has threated to show up at the venues where she was scheduled to appear. In L.A., for example, she was pulled from an event last Monday titled "The Effects of Gay-Bashing on the L.A. Mayoral Race," according to NBC Bay Area, but she announced she'd show up anyway. (After a Twitter battle with organizers, she did not.)
At Moe's Alley last night, however, she offered a sad protest, reports Badash.
“Michelle Shocked continues to unravel, showing up to her cancelled show at Moe’s Alley in Santa Cruz on March 28, 2013,” Paul Horne, who posted this video to YouTube, writes. “Dressed in white, wearing a shirt that says ‘Gimme wit not spit’ on the back and ‘Fun/Fag Palliance’ on the front. She’s taped her mouth closed and is playing her guitar in the parking lot, to an audience of zero.”
“When asked a question, Shocked shook her head vigorously and strummed her guitar while seated on the ground outside popular music venue Moe’s Alley,” reported the Santa Cruz Sentinel. Instead, she pointed to a sign inviting people to pick up a Sharpie marker and write on the white disposable safety suit she was wearing.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM