Rufus Wainwright Gets Married
BY Trudy Ring
August 25 2012 1:28 PM ET
Singer-songwriter Rufus Wainwright wed his partner of five years, theater producer Jorn Weisbrodt, Thursday in a New York ceremony officiated by transgender artist Mx. Justin Vivian Bond.
The event was held in Montauk, at the eastern end of Long Island, and featured performances by the Salome Chamber Orchestra, David Aron Carpenter, and Rufus's sister Martha Wainwright, People reports.
Numerous celebrities attended, including Alan Cumming, Julianne Moore, Yoko Ono and Sean Lennon, Marina Abramovic, Antony Hegarty, Ingrid Sischy, Viktor Horsting and Rolf Snoeren (who designed the couple’s wedding clothes), Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson, Carrie Fisher, Mark Ronson, and Natasha Lyonne.
Wainwright and Weisbrodt have been engaged since 2010. They have an 18-month-old daughter, Viva Katherine Wainwright Cohen, whom they are co-parenting with Leonard Cohen's daughter, Lorca Cohen.
- He Went There: Antigay Judge Roy Moore Compares Marriage Equality to Holocaust
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers