Rufus Wainwright Gets Married
BY Trudy Ring
August 25 2012 1:28 PM ET
Singer-songwriter Rufus Wainwright wed his partner of five years, theater producer Jorn Weisbrodt, Thursday in a New York ceremony officiated by transgender artist Mx. Justin Vivian Bond.
The event was held in Montauk, at the eastern end of Long Island, and featured performances by the Salome Chamber Orchestra, David Aron Carpenter, and Rufus's sister Martha Wainwright, People reports.
Numerous celebrities attended, including Alan Cumming, Julianne Moore, Yoko Ono and Sean Lennon, Marina Abramovic, Antony Hegarty, Ingrid Sischy, Viktor Horsting and Rolf Snoeren (who designed the couple’s wedding clothes), Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson, Carrie Fisher, Mark Ronson, and Natasha Lyonne.
Wainwright and Weisbrodt have been engaged since 2010. They have an 18-month-old daughter, Viva Katherine Wainwright Cohen, whom they are co-parenting with Leonard Cohen's daughter, Lorca Cohen.
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Twice-Divorced Florida AG: 'I'm Just Getting Started' Defending Marriage Ban
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- With Queen's Decree, Alan Turing Is Now Officially Pardoned
- 4 Most Powerful Quotes From Florida's Latest Marriage Equality Ruling