BY Brandon Voss
January 07 2010 5:15 PM ET
She’s tough, she’s talented, and she might be taking over a salon — or a gay nightclub — near you. Winner of the “fan favorite” award on season 1 of Shear Genius, Tabatha Coffey now gives business makeovers to struggling salon owners as host of Tabatha’s Salon Takeover on Bravo, which airs the show’s second season finale on Tuesday, January 12. Preparing for a special appearance at New York’s Splash on Thursday, January 7, the Australia-born Coffey called from her own salon, Industrie Hair Gurus in Ridgewood, N.J., to cut up with Advocate.com about stereotypical gay stylists, unsolicited sperm donors, and the Boystown salon that brought out her militant lesbian claws.
Advocate.com: Congrats on another terrific season, Tabatha, but don’t you ever get tired of hearing people call you a bitch?
Tabatha Coffey: [Laughs] I guess I don’t get tired of it, but that doesn’t mean that I like it. I have my own definition for “bitch,” because I just think people don’t know what else to call a strong female. So when people call me a bitch, I think of my own definition: It doesn’t mean that I’m being catty and mean, it just means I’m being strong and honest.
You throw out the b word and much worse, which often gets you bleeped more than the salon staffers. Have you ever thought of getting one of those swear jars where you have to put a quarter in every time you curse?
No, but that’s a really good idea. I do swear in my everyday life. When I get frustrated with the people I’m dealing with, that’s when those words start to fly.
In my favorite episode this season you visited Chicago Male, a men-only salon in Chicago’s Boystown neighborhood, and called the staff “gay deer in headlights.”
Well, they were! [Laughs] But I feel I sucked the gay out of them when I went in there.
You obviously have to deal with a lot of gay male stylists. Are they all whiny divas like your show suggests?
No, I can’t say they all are, because I’ve worked with many that are not, but there are a lot of prima donnas out there for sure.
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 3 min 21 sec ago
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 44 min 11 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 1 hour 26 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts UPDATED: 1 hour 27 min ago
- People Lady Gaga Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics 1 hour 48 min ago
- World News Two Gay Men Now Lead Luxembourg 2 hours 3 min ago
- World News Elton John's Weekend Concerts in Russia to Proceed 2 hours 47 min ago