John Waters: Reality TV Ruined Bad Taste
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 30 2010 3:25 PM ET
Filmmaker John Waters, famed for once-shocking movies such as Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble, says reality TV has ruined bad taste, in an interview with website ExpressNightOut. "I don't even think there is bad taste anymore,"he says. "American humor is bad taste — that's what we import, that's what television is about, reality television is based on that. I think it kind of ruined bad taste, because you're asked to feel superior to the subject matter, which I don't think I ever do."
Waters's new book, Role Models, in which he profiles people ranging from singer Johnny Mathis to atheist leader Madalyn Murray O'Hair, is now available.
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet