John Waters: Reality TV Ruined Bad Taste
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 30 2010 2:25 PM ET
Filmmaker John Waters, famed for once-shocking movies such as Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble, says reality TV has ruined bad taste, in an interview with website ExpressNightOut. "I don't even think there is bad taste anymore,"he says. "American humor is bad taste — that's what we import, that's what television is about, reality television is based on that. I think it kind of ruined bad taste, because you're asked to feel superior to the subject matter, which I don't think I ever do."
Waters's new book, Role Models, in which he profiles people ranging from singer Johnny Mathis to atheist leader Madalyn Murray O'Hair, is now available.
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Follow 24 Hours in LGBT America 1 hour 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: Russian Doll? 9:18 AM
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV 7:00 AM
- Film Queer Fan Art: The Hobbit 6:30 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 5:00 AM
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 4:00 AM
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM