John Waters: Reality TV Ruined Bad Taste
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 30 2010 2:25 PM ET
Filmmaker John Waters, famed for once-shocking movies such as Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble, says reality TV has ruined bad taste, in an interview with website ExpressNightOut. "I don't even think there is bad taste anymore,"he says. "American humor is bad taste — that's what we import, that's what television is about, reality television is based on that. I think it kind of ruined bad taste, because you're asked to feel superior to the subject matter, which I don't think I ever do."
Waters's new book, Role Models, in which he profiles people ranging from singer Johnny Mathis to atheist leader Madalyn Murray O'Hair, is now available.
- Books Lambda Literary Awards: Leavitt, Bianchi, Winterson Nominated 4 min 51 sec ago
- Women 19 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Saskia de Brauw 21 min 29 sec ago
- Television Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower 22 min 41 sec ago
- Travel WATCH: Jeff Koons, John Waters Discuss Art 35 min 15 sec ago
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality 45 min 59 sec ago
- World World Bank President Withdraws From Panel on 'Economic Impact of Homophobia' 1 hour 30 min ago
- Transgender Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women 1 hour 36 min ago