Horribly Homophobic Spanish-Language Show Yanked From Air
BY Neal Broverman
August 09 2012 1:13 PM ET
GLAAD's 18-month campaign against the homophobic, misogynistic talk show José Luis Sin Censura has been won: the program has finally been yanked from the air.
The Spanish-language, Jerry Springer-like show features outrageous, likely set-up, situations that prompt dramatic reactions from a live audience. According to a 2011 FCC complaint filed by GLAAD and the National Hispanic Media Coalition, more than 20 episodes that aired between June 18 and December 7, 2010, contained images and language usually censured in English-language shows. The language included expletives, antigay slurs, and anti-Latino slurs. The program also frequently features blatant nudity and female guests involved in violent fights. Women are also beaten on the show. Audience members are regularly shown shouting antigay epithets and profanity at guests.
GLAAD and the NHMC urged advertisers to drop the show. Last year AT&T and Time Warner Cable pulled commercials, but it wasn't until a year later that the show was finally off the air.
According to a press release released on Thursday: "GLAAD and the National Hispanic Media Coalition today announced that José Luis Sin Censura, produced and broadcast by Liberman Broadcasting, Inc. (LBI) on the EstrellaTV network, has been permanently removed from the broadcast schedule... The show was broadcast during the daytime in over 30 markets across the country."
See some of the show's outrageously offensive content below:
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 2 hours 19 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 2 hours 21 min ago
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM