Elmo Puppeteer Comes Out, Denies Inappropriate Affair
BY Neal Broverman
November 12 2012 6:11 PM ET
Kevin Clash, the puppeteer and voice of Sesame Street's popular Elmo character, came out in a public statement but denied he had an inappropriate affair with a teenager.
In June a 23-year-old man told Clash's employer, Sesame Street Workshop, he and Clash engaged in a relationship when the man, whose name was not revealed, was 16. Clash claims the two were adults when their relationship became sexual.
"I am a gay man," Clash said in Monday's statement. "I have never been ashamed of this or tried to hide it, but felt it was a personal and private matter. I had a relationship with the accuser. It was between two consenting adults and I am deeply saddened that he is trying to characterize it as something other than what it was. I am taking a break from Sesame Workshop to deal with this false and defamatory allegation."
Clash is now on a leave of absence from the Workshop, as its investigation into the man's claims determined that Clash violated company policy regarding Internet usage.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 2 min 3 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 22 min 56 sec ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 25 min 50 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 38 min 32 sec ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 40 min 25 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 58 min 32 sec ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 1 hour 52 sec ago