WATCH: Necessary Roughness Asks What Would Happen if a Quarterback Came Out?
BY Christopher Rudolph
February 13 2013 6:45 PM ET
USA Network premiered the first part of a two episode storyline on Necessary Roughness (Wednesdays at 10 p.m.) last night that addresses the question: what would happen if a football player was the first major league sports star to come out of the closet?
Necessary Roughness, one of USA’s biggest hits, is about Dr. Dani Santino, a recently divorced therapist who takes a job as the team therapist for the New York Hawks. A television series about the lives of football players decided to make the unprecedented move of featuring a storyline about the first major league sports star to come out and how that affects his team on and off the field, in part because of the network's committment to ending homophobia and intolerance.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film 2 min 27 sec ago
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 34 min 40 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 37 min 45 sec ago
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 52 min 44 sec ago
- Women The Incredibly True Adventures of 2 Lesbian Penguins in Love in Israel 57 min 6 sec ago
- Women Op-ed: Silencing a #SharedGirlHood on Social Media 3:20 PM
- Politics Putin's Top Priority: 'Equal Terms' for Olympic Athletes 3:15 PM