WATCH: Necessary Roughness Asks What Would Happen if a Quarterback Came Out?
BY Christopher Rudolph
February 13 2013 6:45 PM ET
USA Network premiered the first part of a two episode storyline on Necessary Roughness (Wednesdays at 10 p.m.) last night that addresses the question: what would happen if a football player was the first major league sports star to come out of the closet?
Necessary Roughness, one of USA’s biggest hits, is about Dr. Dani Santino, a recently divorced therapist who takes a job as the team therapist for the New York Hawks. A television series about the lives of football players decided to make the unprecedented move of featuring a storyline about the first major league sports star to come out and how that affects his team on and off the field, in part because of the network's committment to ending homophobia and intolerance.
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'