WATCH: Necessary Roughness Asks What Would Happen if a Quarterback Came Out?
BY Christopher Rudolph
February 13 2013 7:45 PM ET
USA Network premiered the first part of a two episode storyline on Necessary Roughness (Wednesdays at 10 p.m.) last night that addresses the question: what would happen if a football player was the first major league sports star to come out of the closet?
Necessary Roughness, one of USA’s biggest hits, is about Dr. Dani Santino, a recently divorced therapist who takes a job as the team therapist for the New York Hawks. A television series about the lives of football players decided to make the unprecedented move of featuring a storyline about the first major league sports star to come out and how that affects his team on and off the field, in part because of the network's committment to ending homophobia and intolerance.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 10 min 55 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 24 min 33 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 26 min 4 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 37 min 26 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 52 min 39 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 1 hour 6 min ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 1 hour 9 min ago