WATCH: 10 Here TV Shows That Changed Our View of LGBT Life
BY Daniel Villarreal
May 09 2013 2:30 PM ET
3. The Donald Strachey Mysteries
Donald Strachey is probably the first out gay detective you've ever seen in a cinematic pyschological thriller. He's a shrewed, wise-cracking gumshoe who isn't afraid to dig up dirt on the town's gay residents. He'll even fight a gun battle if he has to, though he'd rather not.
Charming (and gay) actor Chad Allen brings Detective Strachey to life in four Strachey films adapted from the novels of mystery writer Richard Stevenson. Of Stevenson's 13 Strachey novels, four were turned into films for Here TV. Each one is chock-full of intrigue, plot twists, and more than a little heat.
In the series' third film, On the Other Hand Death, legendary actress Margot Kidder plays Dorothy Fisher, a lesbian high school guidance couselor whose home and job both get threatened after she refers a conservative parent's son to a suicide prevention hotline for gay and questionining youth.
Actress Morgan Fairchild played an important role in the Strachey film Shock to the System, in which Detective Strachey went undercover into a shadowy "ex-gay" treatment facility — very cool.
Watch the trailer for Third Man Out: A Donald Strachey Mystery below:
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View