Wachowskis' New Sci-Fi Series, Sense8, Will Include LGBT Characters
BY Patrick Yacco
January 10 2014 8:46 PM ET
After nearly a year-long wait, details about Lana and Andy Wachowski's television project with Netflix have finally been revealed, reports TVLine.com.
The program is titled Sense8, and the 10-episode series follows eight people who are linked by a violent vision. Although the characters are located all over the world, they share images of both the benevolent Jonas and the villainous Mr. Whispers.
Veteran science fiction writer J. Michael Straczynski, who was responsible for 1990s television program Babylon 5 and served as executive story editor on the Sci-Fi cult classic TV series Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future, will serve as show runner.
Sense8 begins filming in June, with shooting locations ranging from the United Kingdom, Seoul, Mumbai, Nairobi, and Berlin to Mexico City, San Francisco, and Chicago. Cast members have not been announced yet, but roles for the series include a "closeted telenovela hunk" and a transgender blogger.
Other episodes will focus on a thief from Germany, an Icelandic party girl, a Korean executive, and an African bus driver.
Netflix has recently increased its production of original output over the past year, and other future programming includea a multiseries deal with Marvel Comics. The streaming network has released several shows with visible LGBT characters, such as House of Cards and Orange Is the New Black, which have in turn become breakout hits.
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- Texas Pastor Who Threatened to Set Himself Aflame Now 'Loves' Gays
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- Will Marriage Equality Cause a Spike in Homeless LGBT Youth?