Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for June 2011
BY Brandon Voss
June 08 2011 11:20 AM ET
Adapted by out director Moisés Kaufman with narration that recalls Tom from The Glass Menagerie, an unproduced 1967 Tennessee Williams screenplay comes hauntingly to life courtesy of the New Group and Tectonic Theater Project. You can’t take your eyes off hunky out actor Claybourne Elder, which makes him ideal to play Ollie, a boxer who becomes a gay-for-pay hustler and death row inmate after losing an arm in a car accident.
The Acorn Theatre at Theatre Row, through July 2.
With Xanadu and High School Musical as muses, Transport Group scores with this site-specific production, a bouncy hip-pop confection by partners Douglas Carter Beane and Lewis Flinn that slam-dunks an update of the 411 B.C. Aristophanes comedy onto a real basketball court. Patti Murin channels Elle Woods as Lyssie, who dares her gal pals to withhold sex until their boyfriends win a game, but two teammates score with each other.
The Gym at Judson Memorial Church, through June 19.
Nine’s Mario Fratti has assembled an evening of four weak but well-meaning short plays, three of which tackle gay scenarios that favor surprise over insight: In “Actors,” a father tries to convince his daughter that her nipple-ringed boyfriend isn’t as gay as he seems on stage; in "A.I.D.S.," a dying man and his lover contemplate a doctor’s heartless bribe; and in "Dina and Alba," female lovers pull out a gun when an ex-boyfriend reenters their lives.
Theater for the New City, through June 19.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 2 hours 17 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM