Google "Gay" for Sign of Solidarity
BY Lucas Grindley
June 20 2011 11:10 AM ET
Google’s signal of its solidarity with gay people got a little more noticeable this Pride Month.
Run a search for “gay” and related terms and users see a swooping rainbow appear next to the search box at the top of results pages. During previous pride months, Google had included a thin rainbow bar above results.
The festive sign of support follows a nationwide ad campaign in which the It Gets Better brand of viral videos played a huge role in promoting Google’s Web browser, Chrome. The company’s employees taped their own contribution to the series in 2010.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM