Google "Gay" for Sign of Solidarity
BY Lucas Grindley
June 20 2011 11:10 AM ET
Google’s signal of its solidarity with gay people got a little more noticeable this Pride Month.
Run a search for “gay” and related terms and users see a swooping rainbow appear next to the search box at the top of results pages. During previous pride months, Google had included a thin rainbow bar above results.
The festive sign of support follows a nationwide ad campaign in which the It Gets Better brand of viral videos played a huge role in promoting Google’s Web browser, Chrome. The company’s employees taped their own contribution to the series in 2010.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- PHOTOS: Best of Pride
- Texas Pastor Now Says He Didn't Mean He'd Really Set Himself Aflame