Google "Gay" for Sign of Solidarity
BY Lucas Grindley
June 20 2011 11:10 AM ET
Google’s signal of its solidarity with gay people got a little more noticeable this Pride Month.
Run a search for “gay” and related terms and users see a swooping rainbow appear next to the search box at the top of results pages. During previous pride months, Google had included a thin rainbow bar above results.
The festive sign of support follows a nationwide ad campaign in which the It Gets Better brand of viral videos played a huge role in promoting Google’s Web browser, Chrome. The company’s employees taped their own contribution to the series in 2010.
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- Op-ed: Dear Cardinal Raymond Burke, I Am Your Gay Blood