Google "Gay" for Sign of Solidarity
BY Lucas Grindley
June 20 2011 11:10 AM ET
Google’s signal of its solidarity with gay people got a little more noticeable this Pride Month.
Run a search for “gay” and related terms and users see a swooping rainbow appear next to the search box at the top of results pages. During previous pride months, Google had included a thin rainbow bar above results.
The festive sign of support follows a nationwide ad campaign in which the It Gets Better brand of viral videos played a huge role in promoting Google’s Web browser, Chrome. The company’s employees taped their own contribution to the series in 2010.
- Why Are We Gay?
- BREAKING: Supreme Court: Kentucky Clerk Must Issue Marriage Licenses
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Op-ed: How The Danish Girl Helped Me Discover Myself
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- STUDY: One-Third of Israelis Are Bisexual