Antigay ExxonMobil Tops Fortune 500
BY Michelle Garcia
May 08 2012 12:08 PM ET
Exxon Mobil, one of the least gay-friendly companies in the United States again topped Fortune magazine's list of the 500 largest American companies.
Exxon Mobil earned a -25 on the Human Rights Campaign's annual Corporate Equality Index, which scores and ranks companies according to their workplace policies for LGBT employees. This was the first year the HRC gave negative scores to companies for having "large-scale official or public anti-LGBT blemish on their recent records."
The company's shareholders have repeatedly voted against amending its nondiscrimination policy at annual shareholder meetings since 2000. Before Exxon and Mobil merged in 1999, Mobil had a gay-inclusive nondiscrimination policy and domestic-partner benefits.
According to Fortune, Exxon Mobil's stock price rose 20% and profits grew 35% in 2011. Sales jumped 28% to $452.9 billion, giving the company the top spot in the Fortune 500.
Mega-retailer Wal-Mart was knocked back to second place on the Fortune 500 and has a Corporate Equality Index score of 60. Ranked third on the Fortune 500 is competitor Chevron, which received an HRC score of 100, the highest in the oil and gas category.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 9 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 41 min 35 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 46 min 45 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 4 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 43 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 50 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM