JC Penney Includes Gay Dads for Father's Day
BY Trudy Ring
June 01 2012 7:21 PM ET
JC Penney, which stood up to right-wing pressure to retain Ellen DeGeneres as spokeswoman, is being even more LGBT-inclusive by featuring two real-life gay dads in its June ad booklet in honor of Father’s Day.
The booklet, being mailed to customers and also available at the JC Penney website, has a picture of gay couple Todd Koch and Cooper Smith with their children, Claire and Mason, and copy reading, “What makes Dad so cool? He’s the swim coach, tent maker, best friend, bike fixer and hug giver — all rolled into one. Or two.”
In its May flier, the retailer featured lesbian moms for Mother’s Day, with women identified as Wendi and Maggie, both wearing wedding bands, pictured with their two daughters.
The gay dads, predictably, raised the ire of the antigay group One Million Moms. A post on the Million Moms website says JC Penney “is continuing down the same path of promoting sin in their advertisements.” It urges consumers to return the mailers, unsubscribe from JC Penney solicitations, and close their charge accounts with the retailer.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM