Denver Cake Shop Refuses to Make Gay Couple's Wedding Cake
BY Michelle Garcia
July 22 2012 1:01 PM ET
A cake shop in Denver told a gay couple last week that they are refusing to make them a rainbow-layered wedding cake this fall.
Dave Mullins and Charlie Craig plan to wed officially in Provincetown, Mass., this September, with a reception for friends and family in Denver a month later. When they went to order a cake, Masterpiece Cakeshop owner Jack Phillips said they do not make cakes for gay weddings, Westword reports.
Mullins and Craig don't seem to be the only same-sex couple to encounter problems with Masterpiece Cakeshop. According to Westword, other previous customers like Yelp user Samantha S., have said the shop does not "participate in making cakes for 'illegal' things, such as a commitment ceremony." A Masterpiece employee did say, however, that they would be willing to make any other kind of celebratory cake for gay customers, as long as it was not for a wedding or commitment ceremony.
The couple has since gone to a gay friendly shop, but an online petition is circulating, and a boycott is being organized after the incident.
"This is the first time I've ever been refused service at a business because I was gay," Mullins said. "I want [Phillips] to know that what he did hurt us. All we wanted was a cake. We didn't want him to put on a rainbow shirt and march in the gay pride parade. This is me standing up for my community's rights."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 2 hours 33 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 2 hours 54 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM