Owner Says He'd Close Before Selling Wedding Cake to Gay Couple
BY Lucas Grindley
August 02 2012 6:40 PM ET
The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop says he's rather close than sell a cake to a gay couple for their wedding.
Dave Mullin and Charlie Craig are getting married in Provincetown and then headed to Denver for a reception with family. So they inquired at the cake shop only to be turned away, being told the shop's operators "don't serve gay weddings."
A petition calling for a boycott has nearly 5,000 signatures, but owner Jack Phillips told KCNC-TV no protests or petition will change his mind.
"If it came to that point, then we would close down the bakery before we compromised our beliefs," Phillips told the station.
Watch the report below.
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban