Owner Says He'd Close Before Selling Wedding Cake to Gay Couple
BY Lucas Grindley
August 02 2012 5:40 PM ET
The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop says he's rather close than sell a cake to a gay couple for their wedding.
Dave Mullin and Charlie Craig are getting married in Provincetown and then headed to Denver for a reception with family. So they inquired at the cake shop only to be turned away, being told the shop's operators "don't serve gay weddings."
A petition calling for a boycott has nearly 5,000 signatures, but owner Jack Phillips told KCNC-TV no protests or petition will change his mind.
"If it came to that point, then we would close down the bakery before we compromised our beliefs," Phillips told the station.
Watch the report below.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM