Owner Says He'd Close Before Selling Wedding Cake to Gay Couple
BY Lucas Grindley
August 02 2012 6:40 PM ET
The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop says he's rather close than sell a cake to a gay couple for their wedding.
Dave Mullin and Charlie Craig are getting married in Provincetown and then headed to Denver for a reception with family. So they inquired at the cake shop only to be turned away, being told the shop's operators "don't serve gay weddings."
A petition calling for a boycott has nearly 5,000 signatures, but owner Jack Phillips told KCNC-TV no protests or petition will change his mind.
"If it came to that point, then we would close down the bakery before we compromised our beliefs," Phillips told the station.
Watch the report below.
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Dr. Drew Interviews Gay Teen Attacked by Christian Family
- 11 Best Moments From the Marriage Argument Everyone's Talking About
- Op-ed: This Is What Happens When a Generation Is Raised on LGBT Visibility
- PHOTOS: The Mud, Sweat, and Glory of the Bingham Cup
- Hot Sheet: Young, Cute, Dead