Owner Says He'd Close Before Selling Wedding Cake to Gay Couple
BY Lucas Grindley
August 02 2012 6:40 PM ET
The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop says he's rather close than sell a cake to a gay couple for their wedding.
Dave Mullin and Charlie Craig are getting married in Provincetown and then headed to Denver for a reception with family. So they inquired at the cake shop only to be turned away, being told the shop's operators "don't serve gay weddings."
A petition calling for a boycott has nearly 5,000 signatures, but owner Jack Phillips told KCNC-TV no protests or petition will change his mind.
"If it came to that point, then we would close down the bakery before we compromised our beliefs," Phillips told the station.
Watch the report below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 32 min 44 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM