Activists Hold Kiss-in Day to Protest Chick-fil-A
August 03 2012 8:59 AM ET
Friday marks a national day of action at Chick-fil-A restaurants across the country as the organizers of a kiss-in protest aim to respond to company president Dan Cathy’s opposition to marriage equality.
The National Same-Sex Kiss Day will be “showing Chick-fil-A our thanks For Their support of love, equality, and the real definition of marriage,” according to a Facebook page created by the organizers. This past Wednesday, the company reportedly experienced a “record-setting day” when hundreds of thousands turned out for an “Appreciation Day” called by Mike Huckabee.
The Georgia-based fast food chain became a proxy for the nation’s debates over marriage equality and free speech after Cathy said that by allowing marriage equality, the United States was “inviting God's judgment on our nation.” Chick-fil-A has also donated millions of dollars to antigay groups and causes.
There has apparently been at least one dispute at a Chick-fil-A location today. Website TMZ reports that police were called to the Hollywood location this morning, not because employees objected to the kiss-in, but because they felt reporters on the scene were being too aggressive in trying to get comments from staffers. However, the workers and the media had resolved their differences by the time police arrived, the site reports: “In other words, they kissed and made up.”
Check Advocate.com throughout the day for updates on the kiss-in. And send us your photos at email@example.com.
More Same-Sex Kiss Day photos on the following pages.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass-Wedding First in Maryland 8 min 59 sec ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 27 min 15 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 33 min 52 sec ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 49 min 3 sec ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 1 hour ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 1 hour 27 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 1 hour 33 min ago