Will UPS Stop Funding the Boy Scouts for Antigay Policy?
BY Michelle Garcia
October 01 2012 6:25 PM ET
After Intel announced it they would no longer donate money to the Boy Scouts of America over its antigay policies, activist Zach Wahls has another target: UPS.
Most of the corporations that The American Independent identified as major donors to the Boy Scouts had no comment as to whether they would continue to support the organization after it upheld a long-standing policy to bar openly gay scouts and troop leaders from the ranks. UPS, however, said that the policy would not affect its donations to the Boy Scouts, which totaled close to $167,000 in 2010.
The American Independent also identified Intel as the Scouts' biggest donor, giving the organization $700,000 in 2010. Intel dropped the Scouts after Wahls gathered more than 30,000 signatures on a Change.org petition. Now Wahls is going after UPS, especially since the company has a 100% rating on the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index.
"[The Boy Scouts' policy] is inconsistent with how UPS views workplace equality and it is inconsistent with the Scout Law, which demands bravery, loyalty and kindness," Wahls writes in his latest petition letter.
As Wahls also points out in the letter, UPS Foundation president Eduardo Martinez also serves as the chair of the Corporate Development Council for the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts and is a board member for the Metro Atlanta YMCA. Each of those organizations embraces LGBT youth and leaders.
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 1 hour 1 min ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM