BY Advocate Contributors
September 20 2011 4:00 AM ET
To us, diversity simply means honoring equally all the backgrounds and points of view that make up the rich fabric of the American culture. We believe in the enduring quality of life for all our employees as strongly as we believe in the enduring quality of our automobiles. In short, we believe diversity is essential to all the values our business is built upon.
Only involved, inspired, energized and accepted employees will enable us to grow and thrive while meeting the constantly changing challenges of the marketplace. Thatâ€™s why our philosophy of diversity and inclusion is backed by concrete strategic imperatives that ensure our vision of understanding and valuing differences is realized across the company.
For example, our Corporate Diversity Council represents all levels and perspectives across our organization and oversees our many diversity efforts. At the local level, employee-led Diversity councils act as advocates for inclusion and as ambassadors in their communities. The result? For the past four years, Volkswagen of America has received a 100 percent score on the Human Rights Campaign Foundationâ€™s Corporate Equality Index that measures the inclusiveness of workplace policies for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender employees.
But we donâ€™t view diversity merely as good corporate citizenship; itâ€™s also good business, helping us build better relationships with our customers, employees, suppliers and business partners.
Our corporate sponsorships reflect our commitment to diversity as well; â€śThe Focus Groupâ€ť with Tim Bennett and John Nash is brought to listeners of SIRIUS XM OutQ each week by Volkswagen of America, and provides listeners with an inside look at the out side of business.
Diversity. At Volkswagen Group of America, itâ€™s our way of life.
For more information on Volkswagen Group of America please visit: volkswagengroupamerica.com
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Minnesota Antibullying Bill Dies in Senate 17 min 49 sec ago
- Music Q&A Quickie: Colton Ford on Sex, New Music, and The Lair 1 hour 19 min ago
- Marriage Equality Minneapolis Church Celebrates Marriage Equality with Rainbow Communion Bread 1 hour 29 min ago
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 9:09 AM
- Music The Comeback: ABBA's Agnetha FĂ¤ltskog 8:49 AM
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 7:33 AM
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM