BY Advocate Contributors
September 20 2011 3:00 AM ET
To us, diversity simply means honoring equally all the backgrounds and points of view that make up the rich fabric of the American culture. We believe in the enduring quality of life for all our employees as strongly as we believe in the enduring quality of our automobiles. In short, we believe diversity is essential to all the values our business is built upon.
Only involved, inspired, energized and accepted employees will enable us to grow and thrive while meeting the constantly changing challenges of the marketplace. That’s why our philosophy of diversity and inclusion is backed by concrete strategic imperatives that ensure our vision of understanding and valuing differences is realized across the company.
For example, our Corporate Diversity Council represents all levels and perspectives across our organization and oversees our many diversity efforts. At the local level, employee-led Diversity councils act as advocates for inclusion and as ambassadors in their communities. The result? For the past four years, Volkswagen of America has received a 100 percent score on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index that measures the inclusiveness of workplace policies for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender employees.
But we don’t view diversity merely as good corporate citizenship; it’s also good business, helping us build better relationships with our customers, employees, suppliers and business partners.
Our corporate sponsorships reflect our commitment to diversity as well; “The Focus Group” with Tim Bennett and John Nash is brought to listeners of SIRIUS XM OutQ each week by Volkswagen of America, and provides listeners with an inside look at the out side of business.
Diversity. At Volkswagen Group of America, it’s our way of life.
For more information on Volkswagen Group of America please visit: volkswagengroupamerica.com
- Single, Fun, Fit, and 50
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary
- Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming
- 9 Inspiring Women Backing LGBT Rights Around the World
- WATCH: Christian Pastors Involved in African LGBT Issues — But Not How You May Think
- Sports College Swimmer Comes Out to Religious Mom 23 min 2 sec ago
- Media CNN to Test New Don Lemon Prime-Time Show 36 min 56 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Christian Pastors Involved in African LGBT Issues — But Not How You May Think 52 min 59 sec ago
- Love and Sex Single, Fun, Fit, and 50 1 hour 4 min ago
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 1 hour 21 min ago
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 2 hours 21 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 2 hours 27 min ago