American Airlines Profile in Leadership
BY Advocate Contributors
September 17 2012 3:00 AM ET
American Airlines is the only airline in the world and one of only a handful of companies which have earned 100% perfect marks on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index every single year from the start. And for the past two decades, we have supported more LGBT causes and nonprofits than any other airline because along with connecting people and places, we believe in building and connecting communities, too.
A Leader in Fairness
• Nearly two decades ago, American Airlines set the bar by being the first major airline to add sexual orientation to our workplace nondiscrimination policies (1993) and in 2001, by adding protections for gender identity and expression too.
• We were the first major airline to offer equal health and travel benefits to the same-sex partners of LGBT employees.
• American Airlines was the first airline to endorse ENDA, the Employment Nondiscrimination Act, and to advocate for equal tax treatment for same-sex partner benefits. We stand apart as the only airline invited to testify on Capitol Hill to share our beliefs in workplace equality.
• We were the first major airline to have a company-recognized LGBT employee resource group, GLEAM, to work with our management and to reach out to all our employees and allies to embrace fairness, acceptance and diversity in all our programs and policies.
• We were the first Fortune 100 company to establish a dedicated LGBT sales and marketing team, and to become a founding member of the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce to encourage diverse suppliers among LGBT-owned businesses.
• We were the first airline to dedicate a welcoming web portal for our loyal LGBT customers at www.aa.com/rainbow which today is found in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
We are as committed as ever to being champions of equality, fairness and inclusion. We aim to open doors, journeys and possibilities for everyone we serve. Standing still is never an option, so we consistently strive for improvements and new ways to make your experiences as comfortable, contemporary, connected and caring as you wish.
A Leader in Innovation and Passenger Comfort
Some may say it’s evolution. Others say intelligent design. Both are true, now that American Airlines is changing the way you fly by upgrading our fleet in countless ways.
Our global fleet is being updated with cutting-edge aviation technology and design. By 2017, we will add 386 new aircraft along with 164 refurbished planes bringing a total of 550 new and updated aircraft to the fleet. And by the end of this year 100% of our U.S. fleet will be Wi-Fi enabled keeping you connected by American Airlines in the air and on the ground.
Watch what you want when you want on our new and upgraded planes with the latest in personal, in-seat entertainment, choosing from a vast selection of movies, TV programs, audio selections and games. All of these features are designed to keep you comfortable and entertained while you fly.
Please take a closer look at our latest aircraft, our cabin innovations and our lasting commitment to your comfort by visiting www.aa.com/newplanes
We’re changing the way you fly as we build toward the youngest and most advanced fleet in the sky in five years among the five largest U.S. airlines. What better way for us to sincerely express our appreciation to you for your generous loyalty to us. We hope it shows!
For more background on American’s commitment to LGBT inclusion and diversity, visit www.AA.com/Diversity.
To join American’s LGBT Facebook community conversation, visit https://www.facebook.com/AARainbowTeam. AAdvantage® members may also update profile information to indicate an interest in LGBT travel and receive special offers.