BY Michelle Garcia
October 13 2009 2:10 PM ET
I remember in 1992 when Bill Clinton was running for President, and I was in San Francisco working at Cobbs Comedy Club and I remember it was Margaret Cho, me and Stephanie Hodge from this show called Nurses and I remember Bill Clinton saying we need help from everybody -- Jews, blacks, gays -- and I had never heard anybody ever say that and I just started to cry. And I thought, "someone is talking about me for the first time somebody is running for President." And I’m sitting in this bar watching Obama say "I’m going to sign the Hate Crimes Bill if it goes through the Senate, I’m going to get rid of DOMA, I’m going to get rid of 'don’t ask, don’t tell,' I’m here for you guys." He said everything except the word marriage. I don’t know quite what difference it makes because the people that hate us are going to hate him for what he has done you know that’s going to be it so I don’t know what all that means in terms of all that.
In the morning I went to go hear Cleve Jones speak at this coffeehouse and Sherry Woolf. And I was just amazed at the passion and the community. I figured there would be about 50 people there, there were like 300-400 people. We were at this coffeehouse with the French doors open up and a spiral staircase that went upstairs. There were people hanging on the staircase, people were hanging in the bookstore, people were on the street listening. It was when I said to myself, "man people are ready for this change."
When Sherry got up to speak I was just amazed at her passion and her pride of who we are, and her ability to communicate a message with such passion just made me want to stand up and hug her. Then Cleve Jones came up to speak. And Cleve is someone who has become quite the star right now because of Milk, but this is a guy who, for 30 years, was not the star; who was not in the press. Not a lot of people were writing about him. And now because this movie come out, people are giving this man his due. I’ve seen his speak at the Gay and Lesbian Task Force last year -- they were giving him an award and was this sweet man and you could see in the last year he has upped his game and he is speaking with all his passion on the line and he is taking this moment of a film about Harvey Milk and himself and his life and really trying to create some change with it. He is using this in such a positive way and that was very nice to see. He also was part of the AIDS quilt and I just think we have to start, especially the magazines and everything, we have to start remember who did all this. I think it’s really important to remember who came before us.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Op-ed: When Is the Right Time to Tell Your HIV Status on a Date?
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM