Jon Stewart Mocks Romney for Cave on Employing Gay Spokesman
BY Lucas Grindley
May 03 2012 1:20 PM ET
Mitt Romney's spokesman on national security, who is gay, resigned this week after a backlash from social conservatives — a move The Daily Show mocked as the latest cave of Romney's principles.
Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association was among the most outspoken against Richard Grenell's selection. The controversy led the Romney campaign to order Grennell not to speak during a conference call with reporters, something he'd surely have normally done as part of his job, according to the New York Times.
And comedian Jon Stewart summed up Fisher's beliefs this way: "You can't appoint a gay guy. He threatens our very right to hate people for being gay, it's not right."
Then Stewart explained why Fischer's interview on CNN looked so strange.
"In case you are wondering why he looks so blurry, it's because his opinions are being broadcast from 50 years ago."
Watch the entire takedown in the video below.
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- WATCH: Transgender Woman Arrested for Exposing Breasts, Jailed With Men
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies 1 hour 54 min ago
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 2 hours 20 min ago
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM