WATCH: The Daily Show's Quest to Find the Perfect Political Prop
BY Lucas Grindley
August 16 2012 12:02 PM ET
The Daily Show gave itself the job of casting the Democratic National Convention with the specific roles dreamed up by its organizers — including a heroic gay soldier.
Politico's Mike Allen reported earlier this week on a memo about the convention's lineup and its search for an imaginary list of speakers.
"Don’t Ask Don’t Tell," the memo listed among its hot points. "Gay soldier and fellow (straight) soldier who served together in Iraq or Afghanistan (ideally the straight soldier was helped by the gay soldier, i.e., medic, in fire fight)."
Organizers also want to highlight President Obama's contrast on marriage equality with Mitt Romney by featuring a "parent and gay son or daughter," and "not a gay couple," according to Politico.
So The Daily Show assigned correspondent John Oliver to find the perfect "political prop." Watch the video below.
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: Antigay Ky. Clerk Inadvertently Married This Queer Couple
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- WATCH: 'Reporting Tonight: Thomas Roberts,' First Out Gay Man To Anchor Network News
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality