WATCH: The Daily Show's Quest to Find the Perfect Political Prop
BY Lucas Grindley
August 16 2012 12:02 PM ET
The Daily Show gave itself the job of casting the Democratic National Convention with the specific roles dreamed up by its organizers — including a heroic gay soldier.
Politico's Mike Allen reported earlier this week on a memo about the convention's lineup and its search for an imaginary list of speakers.
"Don’t Ask Don’t Tell," the memo listed among its hot points. "Gay soldier and fellow (straight) soldier who served together in Iraq or Afghanistan (ideally the straight soldier was helped by the gay soldier, i.e., medic, in fire fight)."
Organizers also want to highlight President Obama's contrast on marriage equality with Mitt Romney by featuring a "parent and gay son or daughter," and "not a gay couple," according to Politico.
So The Daily Show assigned correspondent John Oliver to find the perfect "political prop." Watch the video below.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: Straight Vlogger Slams Same-Sex Marriage Opponents
- Mike Huckabee: Selfish 'Redefinition of Love' Is Destroying Marriage
- Lesbian-Led U.S Women Are One Win Away From The World Cup!
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers