WATCH: The Daily Show Grills Russian Diplomat on 'Gay Centaur' Vladimir Putin
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 05 2013 11:00 AM ET
Neither logic nor sarcasm made any headway in illuminating the hypocrisy and blatant human rights violations of Russia's increasingly violent crackdown on LGBT people when The Daily Show correspondent Samantha Bee tried to reason with a Russian diplomat on last night's episode.
Sitting down with Andranik Migranyan, who runs a Kremlin-approved policy group in Russia, Bee opens with the issue of Russia housing National Security Administration leaker Edward Snowden, but is quickly rebuffed by a defiant Migranyan, who contends the entire situation is the United States' fault for canceling Snowden's passport, effectively trapping him inside the Moscow airport.
Turning to an even more contentious issue, Bee grills the Russian diplomat on the nation's recently passed ban on so-called gay propaganda, which forbids any statement about or in support of LGBT identities that might be visible to minors.
Bee asks the diplomat why gay people are so "obsessed" with basic rights like not being attacked or put in jail for holding hands or waving a rainbow flag.
"Gay people, they have the same rights as other people," said Migranyan. "Just don't manifest this in presence of large public, with all this kind of parade, demonstration. … I think this is some kind of inferiority complex. Why the hell you have to have parades?"
Cue the stock footage of massive military parades featuring an abundance of large, phallic missiles, with Bee's voice-over urging "OK, we get it! You're gay!"
"Come on...the guy looks like a gay centaur," Bee says, holding a picture of a shirtless President Vladmir Putin riding horseback through the Russian wilderness. "This guy right here is one glitter cannon away from leading our Gay Pride parade."
Migranyan dismisses Bee's assertion as "your fantasy."
Watch the whole segment below.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- The Daily Show's Gaywatch, Feat. Ian McKellen, Rick Santorum, and Cardinal Dolan
- Virginia Bars Married Same-Sex Couples From Filing Taxes Jointly
- Entertainment News Knockout Game: Don Lemon Manhandled By Black Belt Rabbi on CNN 25 min 59 sec ago
- Travel An American in Dublin: Exploring Gay Life Over the Rainbow 45 min 28 sec ago
- Parenting Israel Set to Grant Gay Men Adoption Tax Benefits 57 min 26 sec ago
- Sports Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team 58 min 57 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Trans Game Designer Is Bringing Diversity to Digital Realm 7:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Creator of Red Equal Sign on Why It Mattered 6:05 AM
- Daily Dose You Think You’re Worried? 5:00 AM