Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
BY Michelle Garcia
December 05 2013 6:00 AM ET
Olympic diver Tom Daley came out as a guy who still fancies girls but is dating another guy in a YouTube video on Monday (that guy being Oscar-winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black). In the end, he received tons of positive messages of encouragement, which probably outweighed the homophobic number of tweets and other messages geared his way.
Interestingly, however, there's the possibility that Daley may identify as bisexual. (He did not specify either way, really.) So of course, there were a whole range of tweets about that.
This guy shared my initial thought about it:
tom daley playing for both teams? /puts on hat/ *incoming biphobia*
— oppa brings me payne (@kikosenpai) December 2, 2013
And he was right. Exhibits A through E:
Yeah, yeah, you guys get it. But then I was pleasantly surprised to see that not everyone is biphobic or a dummy.
Respect to Tom Daley for coming out. It's 2013 and people still hate on people for something they can't control. Like why what's the point??
— Liam (@LiamBailey7) December 4, 2013
We'll know when we're in a civilised society when Tom Daley or anyone else doesn't have to 'come out'
— gary scott (@garyscottartist) December 4, 2013
Tom Daley is bi. Calling him gay over and over again doesn’t change that.
— Ian Miles Cheong (@stillgray) December 2, 2013
people who only like Tom Daley bc he said he was bi,theres people who liked him when oh idk WHEN WE WON A MEDAL FOR BRITAIN AT THE OLYMPICS
— cf killed me ♡ (@kissesforjosh) December 2, 2013
To anyone groaning, "Finally" in response to Tom Daley: coming out is a personal process, the 'right time' depends on each person's journey.
— Tyler Oakley (@tyleroakley) December 2, 2013
2. Tom Daley liking guys and girls does not mean that he is 'confused' or 'greedy' or 'unable to make up his mind'. Biphobia, I see you!
— kay (@in__flux) December 3, 2013
Tom Daley is dating a guy, so what?! stop complaining society, let him be happy. pic.twitter.com/hSsV0UqESK
— Katniss Everdale (@DaleSwifty) December 3, 2013
— Cala Alexandra (@CallMeCala) December 3, 2013
And some people were just funny about it.
I don't care if @TomDaley1994 is gay, bi, straight or lesbian: it's not going to stop me feeling insecure when he removes his t-shirt.
— Les Floyd (@Lesism) December 2, 2013
It doesn't matter if he’s gay or bi bc Tom Daley still isnt going to date you. pic.twitter.com/UrAl30yI55
— Amy. (@iWizardStyles) December 2, 2013
All in all, Tom Daley, you get a hug from me. Congrats on coming out as whatever you are.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM