Police: Homeless Man Killed Over Gay Advance
BY Winston Gieseke
January 04 2012 8:00 PM ET
A Connecticut man is accused of murdering a disabled homeless veteran over a perceived sexual advance.
The Republican-American reports that 39-year-old Joed Olivera was beaten, stabbed, possibly thrown through a hole in the ceiling, and left on pile of junk in an empty factory in Waterbury.
Police say Matthew O'Brien-Veader, 23, killed the father of two because he believed Olivera had made a sexual advance toward him. At the time of the murder, both men were living in the abandoned factory.
According to the story, a friend of the suspect testified Tuesday that O'Brien-Veader didn't like gay people and once stated that “they should be dropped on an island.”
O'Brien-Veader faces life in prison if convicted.
Read the full story here.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 13 min 22 sec ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 16 min 18 sec ago
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 26 min 46 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 39 min 24 sec ago
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 48 min ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 1 hour 30 min ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 1 hour 47 min ago