Police: Homeless Man Killed Over Gay Advance
BY Winston Gieseke
January 04 2012 7:00 PM ET
A Connecticut man is accused of murdering a disabled homeless veteran over a perceived sexual advance.
The Republican-American reports that 39-year-old Joed Olivera was beaten, stabbed, possibly thrown through a hole in the ceiling, and left on pile of junk in an empty factory in Waterbury.
Police say Matthew O'Brien-Veader, 23, killed the father of two because he believed Olivera had made a sexual advance toward him. At the time of the murder, both men were living in the abandoned factory.
According to the story, a friend of the suspect testified Tuesday that O'Brien-Veader didn't like gay people and once stated that “they should be dropped on an island.”
O'Brien-Veader faces life in prison if convicted.
Read the full story here.
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'