Police: Homeless Man Killed Over Gay Advance
BY Winston Gieseke
January 04 2012 8:00 PM ET
A Connecticut man is accused of murdering a disabled homeless veteran over a perceived sexual advance.
The Republican-American reports that 39-year-old Joed Olivera was beaten, stabbed, possibly thrown through a hole in the ceiling, and left on pile of junk in an empty factory in Waterbury.
Police say Matthew O'Brien-Veader, 23, killed the father of two because he believed Olivera had made a sexual advance toward him. At the time of the murder, both men were living in the abandoned factory.
According to the story, a friend of the suspect testified Tuesday that O'Brien-Veader didn't like gay people and once stated that “they should be dropped on an island.”
O'Brien-Veader faces life in prison if convicted.
Read the full story here.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community
- QUIZ: Which Gay Movie Is Your Life?