Police: L.A. Body Parts Victim Was Gay
BY Winston Gieseke
January 24 2012 4:20 PM ET
A man whose severed head, hands, and feet were found near a Los Angeles hiking trail has been identified as Hervey Medellin, a 66-year-old gay man who lived in Hollywood.
Police say the victim’s live-in boyfriend, identified only as Gabriel, had been concerned about Medellin’s whereabouts for a week before his remains were found and had filed a missing persons report on January 9. He reportedly last saw Medellin in December.
The discovery of Medellin’s head near a hiking trail in Bronson Canyon Park made news on January 17.
Gabriel had reportedly lived with Medellin for the past year and has told reporters he now fears for his life, even though he is evidently still occupying the apartment he shared with the victim.
Police, who have questioned Gabriel and say he is neither a suspect nor a person of interest in the case, have served several search warrants and gone over the Hollywood apartment shared by the two men.
A neighbor who lived below Medellin told local TV station KTLA 5 that about three weeks ago at approximately 3 a.m. he heard furniture moving and screaming in the apartment above him.
Read more here. Watch a video below.
- One of the Original X-Men Comes Out as Gay (Spoilers)
- EXCLUSIVE: Josh Groban Sings "Over The Rainbow"
- More of You Could Be Fired for Getting Married
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- WATCH: Bruce LaBruce at MoMA
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'