Colo. Football Player Arrested After Bar Fight with Lesbian
BY Winston Gieseke
February 21 2012 4:20 PM ET
A Colorado Mesa University running back was arrested for allegedly assaulting a lesbian outside of a bar in Grand Junction, Colo. early Friday.
Local ABC 7 reports that police responded to an altercation outside the Red Room Bar and Lounge and arrested Shane Williams, 20, after witnesses said the college football player had engaged in a verbal confrontation with a woman that turned physical.
According to the victim, Chelsea Gallagher, the fight stemmed from comments made about her sexual orientation and the appearance of her female companion.
"Going outside to leave," Gallagher told KKCO-TV, “is when they started kind of making comments about us being gay and saying that [my friend] looked like a boy and stuff.”
Gallagher told KJCT-TV that she suffered a black eye, a fractured skull, and hearing loss as a result of the incident.
Williams is reportedly free on bond following an arrest on suspicion of second-degree assault, possession of a fake ID, and possession of alcohol as a minor.
No formal charges have been filed.
Read more here.
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 43 min 29 sec ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 1 hour 43 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM