Chicago Suburb Worried by Arson at Gay Club
BY Lucas Grindley
June 05 2012 3:02 PM ET
Whether a fire at a Chicago-area gay nightclub was motivated by antigay hatred is worrying residents of the progressive suburb where it happened.
The Chicago Tribune reports that the Velvet Rope Ultra Lounge in Oak Park was struck by a fire Sunday and that officials confirm it's being investigated as arson.
The club's owner, Frank Elliot, tells the newspaper that antigay messages were left on one of the burned-out walls, and so he suspects antigay motivation.
That has members of Oak Park's gay and lesbian business association concerned about the speculation. And they have issued statements to the Chicago Phoenix and others calling on the public to wait for the investigation to end before drawing any conclusions.
Read more about the fire at the Tribune.
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- How Gay is Duck Dynasty Merchandise?
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort 3 min 38 sec ago
- Marriage Equality BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional 13 min 28 sec ago
- Education Hundreds Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal 1 hour 22 min ago
- Marriage Equality N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality 1 hour 23 min ago
- Entertainment News Wish Someone a Merry Xmas With Matt Bomer Magic Mike Holiday Cards 1 hour 28 min ago
- Entertainment News Hooray for Bob Newhart: Pulled Out of Antigay Event 1 hour 33 min ago
- Comedy How Gay is Duck Dynasty Merchandise? 1 hour 54 min ago