Trans Man Arrested in Idaho for Allegedly Stabbing Another Man
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 24 2012 12:30 PM ET
A transgender man in Boise, Idaho, has been arrested for stabbing another man several times. According to the Idaho Statesman, Jayce McClerkin is being held in the Ada County Jail on a felony charge of aggravated battery after Boise police responded to a 911 call on Saturday. Witnesses told investigators that McClerkin and the victim were arguing when the alleged stabbing occured. Stephanie Ebmeyer, a friend of McClerkin, told the Idaho Statesman that McClerkin had been harassed by the alleged victim several times in the past "over gender issues," and that harassment continued early Saturday morning. She also told reporters that McClerkin was defending himself during the argument.
Officials told the Statesman (which is using female pronouns and McClerkin's birth name) that McClerkin was being housed away from the general population, while awaiting his Aug. 6 hearing. Boise police issued a statement saying the case was still being investigated.
There is some indication that McClerkin will claim self-defense. What remains to be seen is whether LGBT activists will rally around McClerkin case as they did around another transgender person who was in a similar situation. CeCe McDonald's case got worldwide attention after the trans woman was arrested for second degree murder, after a man was stabbed in an incident she said was self-defense. McDonald eventually took a plea deal for second degree manslaughter and is surving 41 months in prison, but many activists are still pressing to get her case appealed.
If McClerkin is found guilty of aggravated battery, he faces up to 15 years in prison.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 1 hour 23 min ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 1 hour 59 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM