Trans Man Arrested in Idaho for Allegedly Stabbing Another Man
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 24 2012 11:30 AM ET
A transgender man in Boise, Idaho, has been arrested for stabbing another man several times. According to the Idaho Statesman, Jayce McClerkin is being held in the Ada County Jail on a felony charge of aggravated battery after Boise police responded to a 911 call on Saturday. Witnesses told investigators that McClerkin and the victim were arguing when the alleged stabbing occured. Stephanie Ebmeyer, a friend of McClerkin, told the Idaho Statesman that McClerkin had been harassed by the alleged victim several times in the past "over gender issues," and that harassment continued early Saturday morning. She also told reporters that McClerkin was defending himself during the argument.
Officials told the Statesman (which is using female pronouns and McClerkin's birth name) that McClerkin was being housed away from the general population, while awaiting his Aug. 6 hearing. Boise police issued a statement saying the case was still being investigated.
There is some indication that McClerkin will claim self-defense. What remains to be seen is whether LGBT activists will rally around McClerkin case as they did around another transgender person who was in a similar situation. CeCe McDonald's case got worldwide attention after the trans woman was arrested for second degree murder, after a man was stabbed in an incident she said was self-defense. McDonald eventually took a plea deal for second degree manslaughter and is surving 41 months in prison, but many activists are still pressing to get her case appealed.
If McClerkin is found guilty of aggravated battery, he faces up to 15 years in prison.
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? 41 min 26 sec ago
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers 1 hour 19 min ago
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts 2 hours 33 min ago
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013 5:00 AM
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM