Lesbians Attacked in Possible Hate Crime in Atlanta
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 17 2012 2:12 PM ET UPDATED: October 17 2012 3:41 PM ET
Atlanta Pride, held last weekend in the city's Piedmonth Park, turned out to be less blissful than expected for attendees Kathryn Katalinich and Brooke Creef. The women allege that two men attacked them in Midtown Atlanta during Pride, according to Fox 5 News. The couple told reporters that two men "grabbed and pushed them to the ground" Saturday outside a hotel.
Katalinich said that the men called them "derogatory terms" and then attacked them because they are a lesbian couple, and though they retreated after the women began screaming, they were stunned that nobody came to their aid, especially since it was Pride weekend. The women argue that the attack was indeed a hate crime.
Project Q Atlanta, however, reported that the women were inebriated "and instigated the incident and escalated it into a physical confrontation." According to Project Q, "Creef told an off-duty sheriff’s deputy [Deputy B. Pride] working security at the hotel that she actually started the incident about 3 a.m. when she told a woman on the patio that she looked like a stripper."
The Fulton County Sheriff’s Department released Deputy B. Pride's incident report on Tuesday, which Project Q has quoted. It read:
“She (Creef) stated to me that the incident started as a result of her directing several comments towards the Asian female, during which she referred to her as a ‘stripper’ and made negative comments about the way she was dressed." After one of the men called Creef a dyke, “Ms. Creef alleged that Ms. Katalinich approached the opposing party, at which point one of the males pushed her down to the ground. Ms. Creef indicated that she attempted to intervene on behalf of Ms. Katalinich, however she was also pushed to the ground. Creef and Katalinich appeared to be moderately intoxicated."
Project Q reports that witnesses also told the sheriff’s deputy the women initiated the incident.
Watch the original Fox report below.
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Music LISTEN: Lady Gaga's 'Brooklyn Nights' Leaked 43 min 21 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: He's Positive, I'm Not — How Do We Deal? 57 min 17 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: What Is a Serodiscordant Couple? 58 min 16 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 TV Stars Who Are HIV Activists 1 hour 6 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Emmy Winner Leslie Jordan: 'I’m Too Young & Fancy to Pay for This Sex!' 1 hour 25 min ago
- Media Murdoch Urges Boycott of Pro-Equality Guinness 1 hour 26 min ago
- Television Exclusive Clip: The Idols Sing on RuPaul's Drag Race Tonight 2 hours 27 min ago