Lesbians Attacked in Possible Hate Crime in Atlanta
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 17 2012 2:12 PM ET UPDATED: October 17 2012 3:41 PM ET
Atlanta Pride, held last weekend in the city's Piedmonth Park, turned out to be less blissful than expected for attendees Kathryn Katalinich and Brooke Creef. The women allege that two men attacked them in Midtown Atlanta during Pride, according to Fox 5 News. The couple told reporters that two men "grabbed and pushed them to the ground" Saturday outside a hotel.
Katalinich said that the men called them "derogatory terms" and then attacked them because they are a lesbian couple, and though they retreated after the women began screaming, they were stunned that nobody came to their aid, especially since it was Pride weekend. The women argue that the attack was indeed a hate crime.
Project Q Atlanta, however, reported that the women were inebriated "and instigated the incident and escalated it into a physical confrontation." According to Project Q, "Creef told an off-duty sheriff’s deputy [Deputy B. Pride] working security at the hotel that she actually started the incident about 3 a.m. when she told a woman on the patio that she looked like a stripper."
The Fulton County Sheriff’s Department released Deputy B. Pride's incident report on Tuesday, which Project Q has quoted. It read:
“She (Creef) stated to me that the incident started as a result of her directing several comments towards the Asian female, during which she referred to her as a ‘stripper’ and made negative comments about the way she was dressed." After one of the men called Creef a dyke, “Ms. Creef alleged that Ms. Katalinich approached the opposing party, at which point one of the males pushed her down to the ground. Ms. Creef indicated that she attempted to intervene on behalf of Ms. Katalinich, however she was also pushed to the ground. Creef and Katalinich appeared to be moderately intoxicated."
Project Q reports that witnesses also told the sheriff’s deputy the women initiated the incident.
Watch the original Fox report below.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 16 min 39 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 1 hour 11 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 2 hours 16 min ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM