Gay Man Charged With Murder in Alabama
BY Trudy Ring
December 03 2012 6:01 PM ET
A young gay man from North Carolina has been charged with fatally shooting a man he had been staying with in Alabama.
Zachary Stirewalt, 21, originally from Cary, N.C., was arrested Saturday and charged with murder, The News & Observer of Raleigh reports. He had been staying in a mobile home in Montgomery, Ala., with Daniel Turman, 43. Turman was dead when police arrived at the trailer Saturday morning, having been shot several times.
Police said Turman had opened his residence to Stirewalt because the latter had recently left home and had no place to live. An honor student and former Eagle Scout, Stirewalt had been studying technical photography at Appalachian State University in North Carolina until last summer. He interned at a photo studio in New York City during the summer and chronicled his urban adventures, which included a visit to the Stonewall Inn, on his blog, SassyGayHippie.tumblr.com.
Natalie Hayes, who manages the studio where Stirewalt interned, described him as “very helpful, very responsible” and “a people-sweet person.” Of the shooting, she told The News & Observer, “I can only imagine that he did it in self-defense and that was his only option.”
Police have not made any public statements about a possible motive for the shooting. Stirewalt was being held at the Montgomery County jail, under suicide watch.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 5 min 45 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 46 min 19 sec ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 1 hour 43 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 1 hour 57 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 15 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 2 hours 29 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Two and a Half Men's Respectful Job With Trans Character 2 hours 58 min ago