Investigation Finds FAMU Ignored Hazing Regulations
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 29 2012 12:33 PM ET
The results of a year-long investigation into the 2011 hazing death of a gay drum major at Florida A&M University concluded that the school failed to adhere to state laws and regulations about hazing, reports CBS News.
Robert Champion, a gay 26-year-old member of FAMU's Marching 100 band, died in a parked bus in Orlando following a football game in 2011, after participating in a hazing ritual called "Crossing Bus C," where the drum major tried to make his way through the bus as fellow bandmates kicked and punched him.
The report, released friday by the Florida Board of Governors, found that the school lacked internal controls to prevent and detect hazing, according to CBS. CBS also notes that the findings arrived in the same month FAMU was put on probation by a regional accrediting organization, giving the university one year to meet more stringent requirements, or have its accreditation revoked.
The university has denied fault in Champion's death, claiming that because he was an adult, he was responsible for his own death. In May, 13 people were charged with felonies or misdemeanors in the death of the drum major.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 1 hour 13 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 1 hour 14 min ago
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM