Poker Champion Arrested in Prostitution Sting
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 15 2013 12:59 PM ET
Greg Raymer, better known as poker champion FossilMan, was arrested earlier this week in North Carolina, according to CardPlayer.com, in what was originally described as a “male prostitution sting.” Several media outlets, includng TMZ and ABC, used the phrase "male" to refer to the sex workers involved. Later some of those outlets, including ABC, removed the word "male" from reporting.
Card Player says Raymer was seeking a female prostitute; TMZ reports he was seeking a male prostitute.
What is sure is that police allege that Raymer responded to an online advertisement posted by undercover police, according to Card Player. He and five other men were arrested at a hotel in Wake Forest, N.C.
Raymer, who tweeted on Feb. 25 that he was "Thrilled to be home for a while with my lovely wife &daughter," won the World Series of Poker in 2004. Unlike in his mug shot, Raymer is most recognizable for the lizard-eye hologram glasses he wears in competition.
A spokesperson for the Wake Forest Police Department could not be reached for comment.
- Television Bette Midler to Play Mae West in HBO Biopic 1 hour 54 sec ago
- Marriage Equality ACLU Launches My Big Gay (Il)legal Wedding Contest 1 hour 34 min ago
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 8:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 7:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6:30 AM
- Music WATCH: The Best (or Not So Best) of LGBT Holiday Choirs 5:00 AM