Poker Champion Arrested in Prostitution Sting
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 15 2013 1:59 PM ET
Greg Raymer, better known as poker champion FossilMan, was arrested earlier this week in North Carolina, according to CardPlayer.com, in what was originally described as a “male prostitution sting.” Several media outlets, includng TMZ and ABC, used the phrase "male" to refer to the sex workers involved. Later some of those outlets, including ABC, removed the word "male" from reporting.
Card Player says Raymer was seeking a female prostitute; TMZ reports he was seeking a male prostitute.
What is sure is that police allege that Raymer responded to an online advertisement posted by undercover police, according to Card Player. He and five other men were arrested at a hotel in Wake Forest, N.C.
Raymer, who tweeted on Feb. 25 that he was "Thrilled to be home for a while with my lovely wife &daughter," won the World Series of Poker in 2004. Unlike in his mug shot, Raymer is most recognizable for the lizard-eye hologram glasses he wears in competition.
A spokesperson for the Wake Forest Police Department could not be reached for comment.
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Teen From Disturbing Video Explains How It Started
- WATCH: Dr. Drew Interviews Gay Teen Attacked by Christian Family
- MICHAEL SAM CUT FROM RAMS ROSTER
- Hot Sheet: Young, Cute, Dead
- WATCH: Travis Wall Brings Same-Sex Couples to So You Think You Can Dance