Poker Champion Arrested in Prostitution Sting
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 15 2013 1:59 PM ET
Greg Raymer, better known as poker champion FossilMan, was arrested earlier this week in North Carolina, according to CardPlayer.com, in what was originally described as a “male prostitution sting.” Several media outlets, includng TMZ and ABC, used the phrase "male" to refer to the sex workers involved. Later some of those outlets, including ABC, removed the word "male" from reporting.
Card Player says Raymer was seeking a female prostitute; TMZ reports he was seeking a male prostitute.
What is sure is that police allege that Raymer responded to an online advertisement posted by undercover police, according to Card Player. He and five other men were arrested at a hotel in Wake Forest, N.C.
Raymer, who tweeted on Feb. 25 that he was "Thrilled to be home for a while with my lovely wife &daughter," won the World Series of Poker in 2004. Unlike in his mug shot, Raymer is most recognizable for the lizard-eye hologram glasses he wears in competition.
A spokesperson for the Wake Forest Police Department could not be reached for comment.
- STUDY: One-Third of Israelis Are Bisexual
- BREAKING: Supreme Court: Kentucky Clerk Must Issue Marriage Licenses
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- Op-ed: How The Danish Girl Helped Me Discover Myself
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’