Felon Charged with Rape, Robbery of Gay Bears He Met Online
BY Sunnivie Brydum
April 25 2013 4:52 PM ET
A man from Kent, Wash., has been arrested and charged with felony rape and robbery after he allegedly sexually assaulted at least one man he met through the online and mobile gay networking site Growlr, frequented by the burly, hairy gay men known fondly as bears.
Leverne Lee Maxwell, 32, is currently in jail awaiting trial on seven felony counts related to a week-long crime spree where police say he contacted men on Growlr, arranged dates, then sexually assaulted his victims at gunpoint, before robbing them, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
Describing the attack, a Seattle Police detective told the P-I that Maxwell reached out to one man on Growlr, posing as a buyer for a Kindle eBook the man wanted to sell. When Maxwell arrived at the victim's home, he asked for a glass of water, then pulled out a gun and threatened to kill the man before sexually assaulting him.
Four days later, another man was robbed at gunpoint inside his South Seattle home by a man he met on Growlr, reports the P-I. That suspect also asked for a glass of water before brandishing a pistol and stealing the man's laptop and iPhone.
Police allege that Maxwell robbed yet another man of his iPhone after holding him up at gunpoint on April 13. Investigators said they found a used condom and fingerprints linking Maxwell to the sexual assault, and note that several victims have positively identified Maxwell as their attacker.
Maxwell was arrested April 19, when he denied any theft and claimed he and the man he met on Growlr had consensual sex. Maxwell is an 11-time felon, reports the P-I , and has now been charged with first-degree rape, three counts of first-degree robbery, two counts of unlawful gun possession, and one count of first-degree burglary. He's currently incarcerated in King County, Wash., where his bail has been set at $750,000. He is scheduled to appear before a judge on May 6.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- The Daily Show's Gaywatch, Feat. Ian McKellen, Rick Santorum, and Cardinal Dolan
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Entertainment News Knockout Game: Don Lemon Manhandled By Black Belt Rabbi on CNN 30 min 28 sec ago
- Travel An American in Dublin: Exploring Gay Life Over the Rainbow 49 min 57 sec ago
- Parenting Israel Set to Grant Gay Men Adoption Tax Benefits 1 hour 1 min ago
- Sports Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team 1 hour 3 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Trans Game Designer Is Bringing Diversity to Digital Realm 7:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Creator of Red Equal Sign on Why It Mattered 6:05 AM
- Daily Dose You Think You’re Worried? 5:00 AM